30-Day Writing Challenge Day 8: A Fictional Story About Someone You Know

The Sliver
Most of this was pulled from my own childhood memories but some are original. =D

  "Hey Momma, look at this really neat piece of wood I found!" Hope said proudly holding up a slivery piece of wood.
   "Wow, Hopie!" Momma said, "Just don't get a sliver."
   "Okay," Hope said. "Ouch!" Hope said dropping the wood. Holding her finger she saw that a small sliver in her finger. "I don't think Momma saw," she thought "I don't want her to get out the tweezers!"
   Oh, the tweezers! The worst tool ever, made to only give pain to small children when they get slivers. Well, at least that's what she thought they were for.
   "I'll just not tell her. I'm sure the sliver will go away without having to dig it out." So Hope went on with her day forgetting all about the sliver.
   The next morning Hope woke up and her finger didn't feel well at all. "Well, maybe if I gently wash it then I'll be fine." Then thinking about it she decided "Well, I don't have to do it now. It's hurting too much, maybe later." With that, she went on with her day.
   Days past and soon it was a week since Hope got her sliver. Every time she would touch it would send a terrible pain up her arm. She really didn't want to tell Momma. But should she?
   "Okay Hopie, do you want your piano lesson now?" Momma asked.
   "Okay," Hope answered.
   As she was trying to play the piano it just hurt her finger too much. "Okay, Momma, I got a sliver." she finally said, "I didn't want to tell you cause you would get out the tweezers."
   "I'm sorry Hope," she said examining the finger. "I think we might have to soak it."
   Oh no! Hope thought, That's almost as bad! Whenever she would soak her finger the water was so hot!
   Soon Momma boiled some water and put it in a cup. Then she poured some Epson salt into it.  Momma said it would help to draw the sliver out and clean the cut.
   "You can wait a little while for the water to cool, just remember that it can't do much if it's cold," Momma said setting the cup next to Hope.
   "Okay," Hope wasn't the happiest about his whole situation! The last time she soaked her finger right after it finished soaking Momma got out the tweezers.
   At last the water wasn't too hot and she slowly dipped her finger in. "It's so hot!" Hope said.
   "I'm sorry, but if it's too cold it won't work," Momma said.
   After a few minutes, Hope slowly lowered her finger back in. It wasn't as hot so she could stand it a little better.
   To make her feel better, Momma turned on one of Hope's favorite movies while she soaked she finger. The time pasted a lot quicker. But then the dreaded thing came, Momma took Hope's finger out and dried it then pulled out the tweezers.
   "Can you be really brave for me and hold still?" Momma asked, "It's not very deep so it won't be hard to get out."
   "Okay," Hope said taking deep breaths trying not to freak out, "I'll be brave." She squeezed her eyes shut.
   Momma carefully brought the tweezers to the sliver, the tweezer got a hold of it and she slowly pulled it out. "Okay, it's out Hopie."
   Hope slowly opened her eyes, "That's it?"
   "Well, we'll but some oils on it to help it heal, but we are done with the tweezers."
   "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before," Hope confessed.
   "Thank you for telling me, even if it was a little late," Momma replied, "Next time will you tell me as soon as you get the sliver?"
   "I will."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Essential Oils

August 2018 Weekly Writing Challenge: Write the first chapter to a novel you have no intention of ever finishing.

Minimalist Closet Tips