Minimalist Closet Tips


Hello everyone! I love keeping a small closet where I wear everything in it and can still be creative. It is super easy and so freeing!
1.Purge Your Closet
I know everyone and cousin Mitch says this, but it’s the first and most important part of this whole thing.
First, ask yourself if it brings you joy. If it doesn't give it away, and don’t hold on to things that could or did bring you joy. Everyone has those things and those are the ones that fill your closet.
Now if you’ve done that but you just seem to not be wearing all your clothes try turning all your hangers backward and whenever you wear something to turn it the right way. This is great to show you what you actually like and wear. Now if you're still not ready to part with those items put them in a box or something and leave them there for 1-3 months. Most likely you won’t go to the box and get out that old sweater or those flats.
Also, make sure that you're not holding onto things just because you spent a lot of money on it. This is something I’ve done and it can be hard. You’ve bought something, maybe very expensive, and you don’t wear it anymore. My favorite way to get rid of these things is to give to family or friends. It’s great because you know that it’s a blessing to them and you didn’t waste your money!
2. Make a Seasonal Bin
This doesn’t have to be a bin it could be a drawer or some cardboard boxes on the top of your closet, whatever it is, just do it! This is great because it takes away visual clutter and gives you more room in your closet. It also helps to know what you actually wear. So if your someone who gives away a lot (like me) you’ll know the reason why you're not wearing that skirt is that you mostly wear it in the winter.
I don’t have that many clothes in my winter box, but I do have a few things that I’ll throw in there when I notice I’m not wearing because it’s heavier or something.
I keep my winter boxes in a drawer. The drawer is so big I put other stuff in there besides clothes!

I only have two small boxes of winter clothes, but if you need more space or boxes just do that! Don't feel bad if you have more clothes then me! A lot of my clothes work for summer and winter so that's why my winter boxes are so small.

3. When You Buy Clothes, Buy One’s That Go Great With the Stuff You Already Have
I know this seems obvious, but it’s so true. I see all the time people buying clothes that aren’t the colors they like or don’t go with their clothes. Now if you don’t really know what your style is then just go through all your clothes and make sure you like all of them. Then just kinda see what you gravitate towards. For me it was navy and coral colors and slightly nautical and how I found this out was on Pinterest as well as just being in the store and seeing what I would want to get. Of course, it takes you awhile to find your style so just keep playing around till you find exactly what you want. Once you know what your style is then you can start thinking of what you want to get. Keep a list of staples you want to buy and make sure that they would go well with the clothes you have.
4. Be Creative With Outfits
For me, half of having a minimal closet is making outfits with the clothes I already have. This is also a great way to have more style. So instead of wearing a shirt and skirt throw on a jacket or wrap a shirt around your waste. Being creative with your clothes lets you have less because you’re wearing it differently.
5.One In, One Out
When you get down to a size of your closet you like your almost done! The thing is you might do a huge closet purge but the next time you go to Goodwill or Ross you end up getting a tune of stuff and then your closet explodes again. So a simple way to help is the one in one out rule. Whenever you buy something look at your closet and decide if the item is worth replacing something in your closet. If not, don’t buy it, it so, take an item out of your closet and give it away. It’s not hard at all and it’s nice to have a nice flow of clothes as opposed to a clogged up closet.

Remember, having a smaller closet doesn’t mean only 20 items it means slimming down your closet so you can see exactly what you wear and wear all of it. My closet isn’t exploding where I don’t even know what I have and don’t wear any of it, but on the other hand, it’s not a 30 piece black and white wardrobe. I love dressing in bright colors with lots of options and I totally do that with a smaller amount of clothes!



Comments

  1. Love this! Since finally getting out of maternity clothes (where I wasn't necessarily wearing what I liked, just what actually fit!), I've been wanting to purge my closet. I might just go do that now. :-D

    Great job on this post, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Essential Oils

August 2018 Weekly Writing Challenge: Write the first chapter to a novel you have no intention of ever finishing.