August 2018 Weekly Writing Challenge Week 2: Go to your nearest book. Turn to page 51. Find the first line on the last paragraph on that page. Use that line to start your scene.

Go check out my sis's blog for her scene!
Only those who walk will find out.
-Choosing Forgiveness by Nacy Leigh DeMoss

 "'Only those who walk will find out'. I've got nothing!" Dina cried, "I'm trying but it's just not working!" she pushed her laptop away and flopped on her bed.
 "Are you okay?" her older sister Emma said, opening the door.
 "No! I'm not." She told Emma. "I have to send in this story tomorrow and I don't even know what to write about!"
 "Well, what's it about?" Emma asked trying to cheer her up sitting on the bed.
 "Basically I have to write a scene starting with the line 'Only those who walk will find out'. Got any ideas?" She rolled over facing the wall.
 "That sound like a great line. It could start so many interesting stories."
 "Yeah, and I can't think of any," she mumbled back.
 "Well, how about a story of a guy who's doubting himself and in the end, well, I don't know, finds contentment."
 Dina turned over and gave a 'seriously' looking glare at Emma. "It's supposed to be a scene not a whole season of Arrow."
 "Okay, maybe it could be literal." 
 "All right, I'll just not get a good grade and everyone will doubt my writing skills," Dina grumbled.
 "If you don't like my idea that's fine, but don't give up." With that, Emma sat up and walked out.
 Dina sighed. Sitting up she took a quick look at her laptop, "Maybe I can steal something online... That is the dumbest idea in the world!" she told herself. "A tear fell from her eye, "I love writing but I can never seem to come up with any good ideas."
 She hopped on her computer and started watching her favorite youtube channels. She was on for about a half hour when we friend messaged her.
 "How's your scene coming?" Dawn asked.
 "It's not coming." Dina wrote back.
 "I'm sorry, just remember that it might sound bad to you but it probably sounds great." 
 "I haven't written anything to sound bad. I just have no ideas!"
 "What's your line?"
 "Only those who walk will find out. I know hat you're going to say, you're going to say that it has so much potential and it should be easy to write. It should be easy but, I don't know," 
 "Well, maybe you should write down everything that comes to your mind, and go from there. It really helps me." Dawn responded, trying to be encouraging. 
 "Okay, thanks."
 "See you tomorrow, bye!" Dawn signed off.
 "Only those who walk will find out." Dina went over the line thinking of any way to make a scene. 
 "First I need some inspo," she said going to her music playlist. She selected her favorite pop song and started on her scene. Dancing along to the music she quickly wrote down some ideas for her scene. But after each one she thought it wouldn't work.
 "Hey, maybe I could write this scene. Write about a girl who is trying to write." She quickly got to work soon her scene was done.
 She sent it to Dawn. "What do you think?" Dina asked.
 "It's great! I love your idea!" she sent back, "Maybe you just needed to walk to find out. =D"
 "Yeah, I guess you right."

Comments

  1. Wow, that was really good! A very creative take on the challenge - nice job! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Essential Oils

August 2018 Weekly Writing Challenge: Write the first chapter to a novel you have no intention of ever finishing.

Minimalist Closet Tips