August 2018 Writing Challenge Week 1: Use the Lyrics of Your Favorite Song and Write a Short Story.

Check out my sister's blog for her story. =)
Eye of the Storm
 "Honey, I'm home," Evelyn called opening the door after several hours shopping.
 "Hey, Babe," her husband Peter said kissing her. "How was Christmas shopping with your sisters?"
  "Oh, I never get tired of being with them! Especially around the holidays!" she said putting some of the food she got away. "Oh, they invited us to open Christmas gifts at their house."
 "I can't wait!" he replied.

 "Babe?" Peter said walking into the kitchen still a little sleepy.
 "Yah," Evelyn replied, "Oh, Merry Christmas, my love! I made your favorite breakfast!" 
 "Well, you are the best wife a man could ask for!"
 "Darling, I have some news!" she said barely containing her excitement. "You're going to a daddy!" 
 "What! Babe, that wonderful!" he said giving her a big hug.
 "This is my favorite Christmas present!" Evelyn exclaimed, "I can't wait to tell my parents!"
 "I don't think my life could be any better," Peter said.
 After a couple hours, they hopped in the car and drove to her parents. "Babe, what's that?" she said pointing in the direction of her parents' house. 
 "It looks like smoke," he said
 As they drove closer they saw smoke quite clearly. "Oh my goodness, we need to call 911!" they quickly pulled over about a block away from the house.
 "I'll go over there and check it out. They are probably all out." Peter said trying to stay calm.

 It was all a blur. The sirens blaring as they sprayed water at the house. Soon the fire was out and Evelyn saw Peter walking back.
 "Where's my family?" Evelyn said, almost scared to hear the answer.
 "I'm sorry Eve," he said grasping her in his arms.
 "No!" she cried, "This can't happen!"
  After a while, they got into their car and started their drive home. They were both silent except for a little sniffing. A rumble of thunder warned rain and soon it was pouring down. "Just remember, Babe, God's still in control. They're in paradise now." he said grasping her hand. She took a deep breath and gave a weak smile.

 "Hello, this is Evelyn," she said answering the phone.
 "Babe," Peter said at work, "I'm so sorry, but..."
 "What's wrong, Peter?" she said concerned.
 "I've been let go. The company going through some rough times and, well, they just can't keep me."
 "Oh, Babe, I'm so sorry!" she said trying her hardest to stay strong. "Just remember the Lord is in control."
 "I know. I'll be home soon."
 "Okay, bye." Hanging up the phone she took a breath a little shaky. She whispered a quick prayer, "Lord, I'm trusting in You! I know You're letting these trials happen for Your glory." She quickly went to a notebook and grabbed her Bible. Sitting down she flipped to Psalm and found Psalm 23. Reading it quietly she found new strength knowing that God was with her. She quickly wrote it down in the notebook.
 The months past slowly. Peter still hadn't found work but they both knew it was all in the Lord's hands.
 They had their baby, a baby boy named Grant.
 "Hey, why don't we go on a picnic today?" Evelyn suggested to Peter, "It will clear our heads and the best part of all it's free." they both chuckled.
 "Alright!" he said slapping the table, "Let's go now!"
 "Okie Dokie! I'll just get Grant ready and we can go!" she said giving him a little kiss.
 They soon were in the car driving to the park.
 As they were pulling into the park someone was driving in their direction fast. Peter tried to turn out of the way but he couldn't in time. Bang! The two cars collided. Peter and Evelyn were knocked out.
 Slowly opening her eyes, Evelyn looked around her. "Oh, you're awake." the nurse said.
 "What happened?" Eve asked.
 "You were in an accident. Don't worry your injuries are not bad. You'll be able to leave in a few days."
 "What about my husband and son?" she asked sitting up slightly.
 "I'm sorry, they didn't make it." the nurse said slowly.
 Evelyn couldn't believe it.
 "Why is it that the future I'm dreamed, that I was hopeful for just crashed. First my parents, my siblings, my son, even my husband." Tears started flowing down her cheeks, she felt broken, alone, depressed.
 Soon, she was out of the hospital but she didn't want to live, not without Pater.
 Months past and the heaviness in her heart never seemed to go away. One morning she was waking up and she saw her bible with a notebook on top. She hadn't looked at the book since the accident. Slowly getting up she walked over a picked up the notebook. On the first page, she read the passage on it, Psalm 23.
 "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and staff, they comfort me.

 She paused, tears gathered in her eyes. She got on her knees and prayed. She praised the Lord for what he had given her, for the time she had with Peter and Grant. She remembered memories of he and her sister's talking hours into the night, and how her brother and she got up extra early to watch the London football game. She was and is truly blessed. "Lord, please forgive me for shutting myself out, for not trusting You in the times of trouble." She knew in her heart that no matter what terrible things could happen her God, Jesus Christ, will always be there for her!

In the Eye of the Storm
In the eye of the storm
You remain in control
And in the middle of the war
You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor
When my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me 
In the eye of the storm
When the solid ground is falling out from underneath my feet
Between the black skies, and my red eyes, I can barely see
When I realize I've been sold out by my friends and my family
I can feel the rain reminding me
In the eye of the storm, You remain in control
In the middle of the war, You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor, when my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me 
In the eye of the storm
Mmm, when my hopes and dreams are far from me
And I'm runnin' out of faith
I see the future I picture slowly fade away
And when the tears of pain and heartache 
Are pouring down my face
I find my peace in Jesus' name
In the eye of the storm (yeah, yeah)
You remain in control (yes you do, Lord)
In the middle of the war
You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor
When my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me (Your love surrounds me) 
In the eye of the storm (in the eye of the storm)
When the test comes in and the doctor says 
I've only got a few months left
It's like a bitter pill I'm swallowing
I can barely take a breath
And when addiction steals my baby girl
And there's nothing I can do
My only hope is to trust You
I trust You, Lord
In the eye of the storm (yeah, yeah)
You remain in control
In the middle of the war (middle of the war)
You guard my soul (yeah!)
You alone are the anchor
When my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me (yeah!)
In the eye of the storm
You remain in control (yes you do, Lord)
In the middle of the war (in the middle of the war)
You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor
When my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me
In the eye of the storm
Oh, in the eye of
Lord, in the eye of the storm
I know You're watching me, yeah
Ay
When the storm is raging (when the storm is raging)
And my hope is gone (and my hope is gone, Lord)
When my flesh is failing
You're still holding on, oh whoa
When the storm is raging (the storm is raging)
And my hope is gone (and all my hope is gone)
When my flesh is failing (my flesh is failing)
You're still holding on, ooh
When the storm is raging (when the storm is raging)
And my hope is gone (and my hope is gone)
Even when my flesh is failing (flesh is failing)
You're still holding on, holding on
The Lord is my Shepherd
I have all that I need
He lets me rest in green meadows
He leads me beside peaceful streams
He renews my strength
He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to His Name
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid
For You are close beside me

Comments

  1. Wow, good job! I love the ending!

    Both of our stories were so tragic! ;-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Essential Oils

August 2018 Weekly Writing Challenge: Write the first chapter to a novel you have no intention of ever finishing.

Minimalist Closet Tips